We’ve reviewed it all. Find GRE prep books and practice tests or prep courses both online and local.
Let us know what you think by reaching out to us, subscribing above, or sharing our site with friends. Test Prep Club may earn referral commission on some links below and that does not impact our expert product reviews.
This newly redesigned product, which comes from an established brand, includes new practice problems and six practice GRE tests -- a perfect complete study guide for the GRE exam.
• Test-takers have found this book to be very comprehensive, yet approachable in its format, structure, and organization.
• The book includes strategies for solving each question type in reading, grammar, vocabulary, quantitative problems, critical thinking, and reading comprehension.
• The six GRE practice tests are very similar to the actual test in format and difficulty. This number of practice tests allows the user to focus separately on different aspects of the testing experience, and to improve test-taking speed.
• The verbal guide includes 1,000 words commonly found in the GRE. Half of these are relatively basic and about half are more advanced.
• The guides are presented in small, digestible bits, allowing the student to pace their study. Students find this extremely helpful in holding their attention.
• The sheer number of practice questions helps students get used to the types of questions included in the GRE.
• The book set is reported to weigh 5 lbs. Thus, it is not very portable. On the other hand, it is lighter than other sets.
• While math concepts are covered well, solution techniques are in short supply. Users who struggle with math might find that this hampers their mastery of the different problem types.
• Verbal techniques tend to be oversimplified in comparison to the actual test, according to some users.
• The access code for the online test bank is difficult to find. This presents a challenge because the online practice questions and test are the best way to prepare the student for the digital format of the actual GRE exam.
• Errors have reportedly been found in a few of the math questions and examples.
Kaplan has been one of the leaders in this field for years, & their workbook is a proven resource that offers full-range practice for the GRE in math skills, test pacing, and verbal skills.
• Kaplan offers a money-back guarantee, contingent upon the user scoring higher on the exam than on the intake test.
• The tests are developed by expert psychometricians who ensure that the materials are consistent with all aspects of the GRE.
• There are more than 2,500 questions covering all aspects of the verbal, analytical, and quantitative sections of the exam. Other test prep sets for the GRE do not boast as many questions. This makes the set a great value.
• The workbook offers hundreds of new questions versus earlier editions.
• Included are two full-length online tests to prepare students for the format of the actual GRE. Users will find this to be an essential component, particularly because the actual GRE is a computer-based exam.
• The Online QBank allows users to customize their problem sets by topic and level of difficulty. They are able to organize the sets in a variety of ways in anticipation of the different possibilities for how the actual test might be organized and how it might affect their test-taking speed and accuracy.
• Various users reported that some of the explanations in the book are reported to contradict themselves. Some problem answers were deemed to be altogether wrong.
• Users reported not receiving return calls when calling to request the one-on-one expert support.
• Users have also reported that the ISBN on the book does not match that for accessing the online resources. Many users reported not being able to access the online resources.
• Customer service for the online portion of the workbook is not good in some cases. Users found themselves waiting a very long time for their calls to be answered. In some cases, their calls were never answered.
This affordable product is extremely comprehensive, covering everything needed to master the GRE in easy-to-read language and a format that breaks information into manageable bits.
• Each math concept and type of problem in the GRE is covered thoroughly.
This guide covers more than 350 GRE math concepts and lessons, including both test-taking strategy and question-specific approaches.
• The set includes more than 1,000 practice questions organized by topic and level of difficulty.
• There are carefully explained problem solving shortcuts not found in any other resource. These are especially useful for improving students’ test-taking speeds.
• Included is 6-month access to a comprehensive library of video solutions. Each practice problem is accompanied by its own animated video solution. This is especially helpful to students who are better visual and auditory learners.
• For those seeking to achieve the very highest scores, every chapter includes discussions and examples of rare and advanced types of problems typically found in the GRE exams.
• On the other hand, this set is perfect for math-phobics and those needing to boost their quantitative skills. The simple presentation and use of examples that build are perfect for the math user who needs to build math confidence.
• Some users found this workbook too dense for quick study. Instead, it seems to be a resource for people who have months to study. Part of the reason for this is that it has many questions and is extremely comprehensive in its coverage of and each topic, including both explanations and examples in each one.
• Related to this, the shortcuts were found not to be short or pithy in their presentation. Some users expected short explanations for shortcuts, even if the authors intended these to be thorough instructions of speedier ways to approach the problems.
Manhattan Prep\'s 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems is imperative for anyone preparing for the GRE Exam. This updated version contains more than 1,800 questions to ensure students success on the exam.
• Many of the questions are harder than the ones on the actual GRE exam. This gives students the extra boost of confidence they need when sitting for the test.
• This book gives students a tremendous amount of practice at a difficulty level that is either on par or more difficult than the actual exam questions themselves.
• The GRE test prep book prepares students with a comprehensive, straight forward approach.
• Developed by education specialists, the book contains problems organized into practice exercises.
• The book is intended to formulate questions that match the GRE in content, design, and method.
• Targeted exercises allow students to build essential skills in math and verbal content.
• The explanations are easy to follow and include step-by-step operations.
• These help students solidify their understanding of GRE concepts.
• Students can also enhance their skills with online question banks. This emulates the GRE with practical, computer-based simulation to best match the test-taking experience.
• In addition, students purchasing this book are provided with online videos, additional online GRE practice problems and the GRE Challenge Problem Archive.
• The book along with additional resources teaches students the necessary skills to succeed on the GRE exam.
• The book is comprehensive and with over 1800 questions, many students will not be able to get through the entire content.
• The questions are designed to increase in difficulty the further you advance in each chapter. This makes it more difficult for students to understand advanced concepts without thorough explanations.
• The layout is also problematic as it is set up as one section of questions instead of breaking it down into problem sets.
• The book does not provide an explanation of how the GRE is laid out or tips on how to take the test itself.
• The questions only provide the answers instead of an explanation on how to actually solve the problems.
The Official GRE Value Combo provides practice for the GRE directly from Educational Testing Service. The bundle package includes two books of questions specially created for students taking the GRE.
• The combo is more affordable than purchasing the books separately.
• The format is well laid out and easy to use.
• The mixed practice problems provide an accurate picture the actual exam.
• Explanations of the answers are detailed and help readers understand difficult concepts.
• An accurate display of both computer-based and written exams well prepares students for the visual aspect they can expect.
• In addition to questions and answers, there are several tips for taking the test itself.
• The primary reason this our top contender instead of the expert favorite is due to some inconsistencies found throughout the book. There were several editing mistakes noted which could lead students astray if they are not acutely aware of them.
• There might not be enough practice questions for users expecting this to replace the test prep books. In other words, the set is not likely to be a suitable substitute for the book course.
• The print was low quality.
• Even though the book is filled with wonderful explanations and detailed information about the test, the amount of practice questions is lacking.
• The majority of information in the book can be found on the ETS website for free.
For those needing to study for the GRE but are low on cash, Barron\'s 6 GRE Practice Tests prepares students on a budget. The book offers advanced test taking practice in this updated, revised version.
• The book contains six practice exams comparable to the actual GRE in length, complexity and difficulty.
• Answers to the questions are thoroughly explained and include detailed information regarding different types of GRE questions.
• In addition, a series of tips and strategies are included to help test takers boost their scores.
• There are about 50 error-detection questions in the grammar section, enough to cover a wide variety of error types.
• The book is poorly edited and contains periodic errors.
• Some of the practice questions are not representative of the GRE itself.
• Many of the problems are easier than one can expect on the exam.
• Although some of the verbal and quantitative sections contain vague questions and answers, this is not indicative of the entire book.
The newly updated set of cards includes everything necessary to master the verbal and math section of the GRE. Easily sort and carry cards on-the-go to continue studying regardless of where you are.
• Study and prepare for the verbal and match flashcards in this set, with 250 of these for each section.
• The verbal cards included in the set feature the words, definitions, and sentence completion practice.
• The math cards in the set include 10 numeric-entry questions, 10 multiple-answer questions, 65 quantitative comparison questions, 65 multiple choice questions, 25 math strategies, and 75 math facts.
• Each card has a corner punch hole for a metal sorting ring included with the set, making it easy to keep the cards organized.
• Each vocabulary card includes an organized layout, including the word on the front, and definition, antonyms, complete sentences, and hint and example analogies on the back.
• Durable material makes it easy to take the cards on the go without worrying about them being damaged in any way.
• Additional study materials necessary for the vocabulary section to supplement the words included in the set.
• The cards are not arranged in order of difficulty, which is something you will have to do on your own based on your current abilities or knowledge.
• The font is extremely small, making it especially challenging to read the small numbers fractions and other information.
• The punch hole may tear if the cards are used too often or used roughly, which can make it difficult to take the cards on the go.