We’ve reviewed it all. Find MCAT prep books and practice tests or prep courses both online and local.
Let us know what you think by reaching out to us, subscribing above, or sharing our site with friends. Test Prep Club may earn referral commission on some links below and that does not impact our expert product reviews.
The MCAT Prep 2018-2019 offers test-taking strategies, practice questions, and detailed answers in a comprehensive study guide. The material is thorough with each section that is covered on the MCAT.
• The book offers a quick overview and breaks down what is covered with the material.
• It provides detailed answer questions to ensure that test takers understand the reasoning for the correct answers.
• Topics that are covered in the book include Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems, Psychological, and Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior.
• Each section includes a comprehensive review by Test Prep books with detailed content that is similar to what is used on the MCAT.
• Critical analysis and reasoning skills are included.
• It highlights the information that the MCAT without teaching what has already been learned.
• The book provides a concise overview of the most commonly-tested pathways, topics, and competencies.
• The content is easy to read and flows well, which makes it possible to study quickly.
• There is not a lot of reiterated or extraneous content, which makes it straightforward and concise.
• There are many typos present in the prep book and incorrect facts due to a lack of proofreading and fact-checking.
• Test takers can benefit more from a longer and more thorough study guide that is more than a quick recap of the topics covered.
• The formatting of the content could be improved to make it easier to read and more visually appealing.
The MCAT 528 Advanced Prep 2019-2020 delivers thorough subject review with more questions included compared to similar study guides. It has a targeted focus on most-tested concepts.
• Includes comprehensive study review that is written by top-rated, award-winning Kaplan instructors.
• Online resources are included with the book and allow test takers to access a full-length practice test, which makes it easy to become comfortable with the format of the MCAT.
• Star-ratings are included to guide insight on which topics contribute the most to the overall score that you’ll earn on the MCAT.
• All of the practice questions and study material are true to the test and are screened by expert psychometricians.
• The content in the book is vetted by a medical doctor and editors who have advanced science degrees.
• The guide delivers clear and simple content that is easy to understand and read through quickly. Specialized strategies allow test takers to have more confidence and increase their skill level when taking the exam.
• The prep book covers concepts that are more difficult to understand with practice passages that are more challenging compared to what is provided in similar books.
• Test takers may benefit more from a prep book that goes more in-depth on the concepts that are covered on the MCAT. Some of the information provided is too simple and concise, which can make it difficult to learn from mistakes when answering questions incorrectly.
• The book is ideal for brushing up on different concepts but is not comprehensive and should be accompanied by additional study guides or prep books.
The total package when it comes to MCAT review mastery, with seven different subject guides, as well as three online practice tests that ensure you are fully prepared for the test.
• The boxed set includes seven comprehensive review books covering all the parts of the MCAT exam, including reasoning skills, critical analysis, sociology and psychology, math and physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and biology.
• The test includes three full-length practice tests, which are accessible online to help you benchmark the score earned.
• Enjoy an in-depth subject review of all the most difficult test subjects included on the MCAT exam.
• Thousands of practice questions available in the end-of-chapter review portions, along with MCAT style practice passages.
• Full color tables, diagrams, and illustrations included to help with visual comprehension when reviewing for the exam.
• Quick review options thanks to the included chapter summaries.
• Test taking guidance and strategic techniques included to help you hone your abilities to effectively take and pass the MCAT.
• Extensive glossaries included in all books to provide immediate review and references.
• Availability of online student tools provides you with up-to-date information on any exam updates that may have occurred.
• Some grammatical and spelling errors in the book make some of the portions more difficult to understand.
• While the book provides a comprehensive overview of the materials, some supplemental materials may be necessary for subjects that are more difficult to understand.
• Some questions are extremely complicated and may not be right for those new to studying for the exam.
Use the 1,000 set of MCAT flashcards to master the material and score higher when the test is taken. Along with the cards, gain access to online resources to further enhance your review time.
• The comprehensive set is divided by subject, including 230 cards for behavioral science, 187 biochemistry cards, 247 for biology, 143 covering general chemistry, 90 for organic chemistry, and 103 for physics.
• Each card includes terms, definitions, concepts and more to help you fully prepare for the exam.
• The included app makes it possible to study and review while on the go.
• A large number of questions are included on the cards, allowing you to go through them again and again without covering the same material.
• In addition to convenient online resources, the set also comes with a cellphone app.
• The cards arrive well-organized and in order based on the subject matter being prepared for.
• Some definitions are convoluted and misleading, resulting in quite a bit of interpretation.
• Minimal images, which make visual review a bit more challenging.
• Printed on flimsy paper and difficult to take when on the go.
• Due to the large number of cards included in the set, the subject material isn’t as focused as it should be.
• While the app is included with the card purchase, you have to have a Kaplan account to access the study and review information.
• For a full review, it may be necessary to purchase a review book, along with the cards.
Quickly and easily brush-up for your upcoming MCAT exam with this set of comprehensive, easy to take on-the-go flashcards that provide you with all the review material needed to boost your score.
• The cards are divided into four general sections including biology, physics, organic chemistry, and general chemistry.
• The cards are designed with a hole in one corner to accommodate a metal key-ring-style holder, which is also included in the pack. The included rink allows you to easily arrange your cards and create a study sequence that meets your needs.
• Several visual elements are included in the set, which is ideal for visual learners.
• Concise and thorough information makes it easy to study at home or on the go.
• The cards are designed from a firm, sturdy material, providing a superior level of durability.
• The box the cards arrive in is ideal for taking on the go and studying, regardless of where you are.
• While the study cards make a great study tool, supplemental materials may be necessary to receive a comprehensive understanding of the material.
• Not your traditional flashcard, as there is a single word on the front, and then a lot of information on the back, which makes learning everything a bit challenging.
• No cards included for the physics formulas, just three included cards featuring a large number of formulas.
• It’s not possible to highlight on the cards.
• Some errors are present on the card, making it somewhat challenging to get a full review without having to do a bit more research on the subject matter.
Examkrackers’ book offers a plethora of practice questions, providing an extensive overview of physics and associated math. Questions range in difficulty from easy to very difficult.
• This book takes the time to focus on the fundamental concepts of physics, giving students the opportunity to rethink misconceptions they may have and gain a better foundation for the entirety of the physics portion of the MCAT.
• Straightforward writing and concise explanations make this an accessible option for any individual, regardless of the level they’re at when they begin their studies.
• The tips and strategies contained in this prep book prove useful, giving students a bank of information to use when they head in to take the exam beyond the standard knowledge of physics one would expect.
• Having so many questions means there’s only so much room for explanations. Because of that, the explanations to the question answers don’t tend to be as in-depth as in other books, making this a better option for those seeking practice rather than detailed study.
The 2nd edition of the MCAT Biology Review includes practice questions, step-by-step explanations, three full-length practice tests, and hundreds of practice problems by The Princeton Review.
• The book provides a strong background and excellent details on all topics covered by the MCAT. It highlights cellular metabolism, the musculoskeletal system, the nervous system, and the cardiovascular system.
• The content is light with the microbiology, immunology, and the endocrine system.
• The format of the book is unorganized, with awkward footnoting and a few extensive paragraphs that could be condensed for easier reading.
• Many of the explanations are repetitive and wordy.